25 May 2011

Their World Is Still Spinning


I was going to write a post specifically about the wildfires out here in Sierra Vista, but something happened today that moved me to write this post instead.

As all of you know, the tornadoes that hit Joplin, Missouri Sunday evening were some of the worst in history. My seventh grade teacher, Lyla Glaskey, her husband, Jason, their two young children, and her mother (an adopted grandma to me), Saundra, all live in Joplin and have called it their hometown for many years. They all survived the historic storm, but are trying to pick up the pieces left in its aftermath. You can imagine that the events of this past week have been devastating for them in so many ways. They are dealing with grief, heartache, fear, and uncertainty as to what the future holds after such a terrible disaster.

I sat in my Arizona living room Monday morning, and was overcome by sadness and anger that I could not be there to help. The only thing I could do was cry and silently offer up prayers for safety, healing, and understanding.

God must have heard the yearning in my heart to provide some assistance. Today I received a phone call from Lyla asking me to take charge on one of the many relief effort tasks they are trying to complete. After various phone calls and good ol’ fashion determination, it’s confirmed that J & W Cycles in Washington is donating and delivering (thanks dad!) a Mule (all terrain vehicle) to the relief effort in Joplin. Supplies like these are needed for the transport of water and other necessities to people who are living in places impassable by regular cars.

Please pray that this donation can make a huge impact on those affected by the storm. Also, remember to keep the town of Joplin and all of those affected by the recent storm damage in your prayers.

Lyla’s church, Immanuel Lutheran Joplin, is accepting donations for relief effort purposes. If you would like to make a monetary donation to the Joplin relief effort, you can send checks to the address below. 

Make checks payable to: Immanuel Lutheran Church (make sure to put disaster relief on the memo line).
Address to:
Immanuel Lutheran Church
2616 Connecticut Ave

Praying and asking you to do the same,
K

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."



No comments:

Post a Comment