24 May 2011

TDY Gardening 101

       Can you believe I almost didn’t take the chance to spend the summer in Arizona due to the loss of my summer garden?! Okay, not really…but I knew it was one of those things I would definitely miss about my life in Missouri. Way back in March I started planning my AZ garden. I had no idea what could grow here or how I would grow it, but I knew I wanted my garden!
            So, within the first three days of living in Sierra Vista, I (with the assistance of Old Ironsides and Anna) enthusiastically began my humble garden. Since I’m living in an apartment and grass/dirt are sparse in the high desert, I was presented with some new gardening challenges. Gone are the days of tilling the ground and planting! Here are the days of container gardens. (Thank you Mrs. D for the awesome and helpful books!)
         
What follows are some tips for growing your own TDY (a.k.a Temporary Duty) Garden.

Step One: Purchase the various plants and seeds you would like to nurture. I chose three tomato plants purchased from a local vender at the Sierra Vista farmer’s market. I also bought a pepper plant, a lavender plant, flower seeds (African daisies, cornflowers, zinnias, and sunflowers), and basil seeds from a local hardware store. 
 Step Two: Now that you have your various plants, you can make sure to buy the appropriate containers and soil to fit their unique needs. Since our TDY garden is in the high desert, plastic containers are recommended. These will not hold in the heat and allow the plants more breathability. (I found this step to be kind of fun…I got to pick out different colors for my containers!)

Step Three: Pour the soil into each container. Replant the tomato and pepper plants making sure to prune as necessary. Sow the various seeds you have chosen and cover with soil.

Step Four: Water!

Step Five: Wait and wait and wait…soon (but not yet) you will have beautiful flowers and greatly producing vegetable plants. 

More from the TDY Garden later!
Adios

 


















No comments:

Post a Comment