14 June 2011

No Pain, No Gain

This past Saturday started out wonderfully. Old Ironsides and I decided to bike six miles to a local diner for breakfast and then bike the final three miles home. Easy enough, right? We made it to the diner and enjoyed our breakfast of eggs (burrito and omelet style), juice, and water. Then we hopped back onto bikes and were homeward. About halfway there, I made a poor last minute decision and ended up face planting into the asphalt. Even though I was speeding out of control when I hit the lip of a curb then the corner curb of a light stand, it felt as if the whole world slowed down to give me some reactionary time. In that five seconds, me, myself, and I remember thinking four things: 1) Why didn't you wear your helmet?!?!?!  2) Since you didn't wear your helmet, how are we supposed to fall safely?!?!?! 3) You should probably try to tip over instead of going over the handlebars!!! 4) No time to think!!! We're falling, safely or not!!!

Before I knew it, I was sprawled out on the hot blacktop, tangled in my bike frame. Old Ironsides stopped in his tracks and quickly headed over to rescue me. After taking a few minutes to catch my breath (no tears, mind you), I hopped back onto my bike and we rode the final mile and a half back to the apartment. Thankfully, I did not hit my head and managed to walk away with minor scrapes and bruises. Oh yeah, and that hurt ego thing. :)

No matter how embarrassing this bike accident was, I really am thankful for it. God used it to drive home a point for me. Life is full of ups and downs. It's impossible not to fall down as we journey through this world. But, we always have the choice to stay down or to get back up and keep on riding. I would venture to say that we gain so much more when we choose the latter. So, will you decide to stay face planted on the pavement, or to hop back on the bike and continue the ride?

Thanks for listening,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment