28 June 2011

It Is What It Is

So, it has been my intention to update you all on my beautiful container garden. My baby tomato plants have had ample time to beautifully blossom into the mature producers of summer's sought after fruit. Red, ripe, juicy tomatoes. Bright, green, strong plants. Ready to be picked and eaten in all their glory.

You're probably wondering why I am taking this time to describe my "run of the mill" tomato plants. Well, I went to bed Sunday night knowing I would be able to eat a fresh, homegrown tomato this week. And, I woke up thinking the same thing. Then, Old Ironsides came over for breakfast and asked me if I had been outside yet. This was a strange question to ask, so I asked why. Very carefully, Old Ironsides informed me that they were gone. The tomato plants had been wiped out in the middle of the night. (He told me this news as if someone very dear to me had passed away. He is so good to me!) When I heard the news, I decided to take a look for myself. This is the carnage I discovered:




Gone...

Alas, my beautiful tomatoes that I worked so hard for were gone.

Actually, I'll let you all know that my first reaction was anger. Then...laughter. What can you do? I can probably save the one in the middle and the one on the left. But, if this does not work...I'm hoping all of my Missouri gardeners will allow me one, red, ripe, juicy tomato when I get back!

Green Thumb but no Animal Control,
K

PS Some little raccoon, rabbit, squirrel, lizard, or whatever had a wonderful dinner that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment